Thursday, February 25, 2010

Improve the Speed of CodeRush: EdgeCase Scenario

I have *one* solution on *one* machine on which CodeRush runs slow.

Dog slow…

Lame-Dog slow

So slow it’s painful and I was forced to unload (not uninstall … don’t be daft) CodeRush.
This is also painful, but in my view there was simply no alternative.

Seriously I’ll happily explain if it’s really needed, but no… Resharper is not, for me, a valid alternative.

This has been the case for nearly 2 weeks. This problem as I say, affects only a single solution and not all files in it… But enough of them to cause me some serious headaches.

Yesterday I cured it. [Cue Choir of angels… lights from heaven … General merriment from all]

How did I do this.. Well to cut an already long story short…

I *un*installed StyleCop 4.3.3.0, restarted Studio and loaded my solution

The effect was immediate… like a bolt of lightning turning night into day. however unlike a bolt of lightning, the effect was permanent. This offending solution has now been made into CodeRush’s whipping boy and frankly my entire week is looking up :D

I have handed support all the information I can find which might help eliminate this issue and I’m sure they’ll soon find out what’s going on…

In the mean time I’m writing this post in the hopes that others who might have tried CodeRush and found it to be slow (I’m sure there aren’t that many :D) might find this or be pointed at it by colleagues and perhaps give it another spin with this in mind.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our main project solution is horridly slow when using coderush.

Having the spelling checker and code issues turned off via the dxcore toolbar makes coderush usable in this large solution.

Rory said...

I have just this morning, heard that of someone whose experience is improved by turning off the Windows Indexing service.

I wonder what they were indexing?