Well it's all very simple...
I recently moved house to a much nicer location with a bigger garden and more space within for my wife and kids to occupy with more stuff.
In so moving, I needed to cancel every known service directed at my old place and inform said people of where my new address would be located.
This included of course... my home landline and thus my broadband.
In the process of doing this, I discovered that I was not under contract with Pipex ( my previous provider) any longer and I could elect to move with no surcharge.
I enquired of pipex support what would happen if I decided to remain with them in my new abode.
They informed me (in a slightly cryptic manner) that things would be just as difficult as if I move to a different provider (new Landline, new account with pipex, difficulty in maintaining email aliases).
Additionally they would not be able to offer me the same rates as before because I would be having to start a new contract with them rather than transfer the existing one.
This would have the surprising effect of forcing me to choose from their new range of offerings, of which only one could possible suit me due to my bandwidth requirements. and oh shame this new package was somehow more expensive than the previous model.
Oh well that was it.
I have now changed providers to demon.net
They don't give me any web space but I don't need that as I have some spare elsewhere. However the rorybecker.co.uk domain name was more of an issue.
I bought rorybecker.co.uk from quidnames.com which to this point has been a very good purchase.
I needed now however to change the redirection on said domain so that it would point at my new web space.
This proved a little difficult.
Normally one logs in to their system through the use of the registered email and password.
Since I could remember neither of these, the system felt required to deny me the access which was rightfully mine.
I hurled massive abuse (verbal) at the site but this seemed to do no good. I decided that there would in all good sense be a method to retrieve said information since I am in fact the rightful owner of said domain.
It turns out that quidnames do, in fact, have such a method.
They simply require that you visit the appropriate page on their site and enter the domainname whose information you require and the registered email associated with said domain name.
And there-in lay the problem. I of course had no idea which email of mine was the correct one. I have "many".
I proceeded to mail "support" explaining (repeatedly) that if they would just email the details to whichever email address happened to be associated with the account, then I would be able to collect them as I forward most things to my gmail account these days.
My emails met with no response whatsoever for the next 8 days, where upon support got back to me to tell me which email address was in fact assigned to the account.
And that is where things get complicated :)
You see (if I understand this correctly)....
- The address in question was in a domain owned by the company I work for.
- This domain was bought through Company 1.
- Company 1 was instructed (not by me) to set the name servers of the domain to the IP address of a dedicated server we controlled.
- The dedicated server ran a nameserver of it's own. (NameServer1)
- NameServer2 (for some ungodly reason) pointed at dyndns.org which then pointed back at nameserver1, thus giving us a very neat single point of failure. (NameServer1)
- Nameserver1 pointed at a nameserver held by Company2 (NameServer3)
- The NameServer3(at company2) held instructions for distributing email.
- Company2 also held some pop3 boxes into which it was instructed to sort the email from the domain in question.
Can you see where all this is going?
- We ceased renting the dedicated server.
- The dedicated server was formatted/mangled/otherwise destroyed.
- NameServer1 vanishes like a fart in a tornado.
- The chain is broken and now the email from quidnames now forwards into the ether never to return.
ya gotta love the net :)
So now I have instructed Company1 to point set the domains nameservers to the 2 nameservers supplied by Company2.
This so it is said will take 24 to 48 hours
48 hours was sunday.
I am led to believe that the process was however only started yesterday evening so this time tommorow I should be able to retrieve email send from that point onward tro the domain in question.
After this I hope to request my password from quidnames and then retrieve said password and redirect rorybecker.co.uk to rorybecker.me.uk
and all, I think, will be well again :)
So the upshot is that my plugins have moved temporarily, to http://www.rorybecker.me.uk